23 March 2018

Hello Spring - stenciled 1-layer card


Spring with its glorious colours is coming. Easter with its fun eggs is soon to be upon us, too. I created a stencilled single layer card with Nuvo embellishment mousse on black cardstock to heighten the vibrancy of the colours. Hello Spring!

Putting It Together

This is the card that almost wasn't. Stencilling was not being my friend last night. My first attempts (not shown) with a brass stencil and Nuvo embellishment mousse were a disaster. I was getting the dimension I wanted but I was also getting seepage under the stencil. And then, when I was washing the brass stencil, I sliced a bit of my finger on the sharp edge! It was just a nick, but it bled something fierce for a while. I gave up on getting that brass stencil to behave and switched to a much more finger-friendly plastic stencil. 


To make sure it didn't move while I applied the mousse, I  used washi tape. Before putting the tape down, I put it on my clothing a few times to take away some of the sticky.


But... a combination of the paper and the tape, when I took up the stencil, the paper tore. GAH!! But,  my experiment with the Nuvo embellishment mousse on black was a success. I loved the vibrance of the colours.


Determined not to lose that gorgeous oval, I die cut it (and will use it on a future project).


This gave me the perfect window mask for the oval and a new trial. This was my last attempt for the night since it was already past the time I should have gone to bed. I washi taped the stencil to the back of the mask frame so it would sit flush on the paper.


 As before (but not shown), I used the blender tool to apply the mousse in a combination of pounce and careful swirl.


I was almost afraid to lift the stencil this time.


I took off the stencil and mask and it was lovely, wonderfully lovely.


I added a sentiment in white to finish the single layer.


Inside, I did add a white panel but only because it's so hard to write on black and I do want the card to be usable. I die cut the panel and added an inside sentiment. I used the mod square because of the mod look of the flowers in the oval. I thought it a good tie-in.



Supplies


Challenges

Addicted to Stamps and More: Clean and Simple
Less Is More: Single Layer Card with a Stencil and CAS
AAA Cards: Use Only One Third
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday: Floral Frenzy
Pearly Sparkles: Flowers


9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Easter egg, love it’s glistening colours. Thanks for playing along with AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Floral Frenzy” Challenge! Beautiful colors and design. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work with this technique, those mousses can be tricky to work with! Your colors pop wonderful from the black base. Very unique look. Thanks for joining us at Less Is More!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting card! I should try Tonic mousses too, they make great products.
    Love the soft colours you achieved. Thank you so much for sharing your card with us at AAA Cards Challenge. - Sweet Kobylkin
    Click through to learn now the best stamping technique for colouring with pencils on coloured cardstock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning card! Thanks for sharing at Less is More!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your card design - thanks for joining us at Addicted to Stamps and More

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning card...thank you for joining us at ATSM challenge this week
    Željka DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful - striking colour combo - love your stencilling! Thanks for playing along with us at AAA Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely Easter egg! Great colours! Thanks for joining AAA Cards! Hugs Åsa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.