07 November 2016

Gobble, Gobble


Canadian Thanksgiving is in the first part of October, US Thanksgiving is at the end of November. Both days, as well as Christmas, are traditional days to have turkey. This card was designed to be usable for any of the three, or any other occasion you want to have turkey while being thankful for someone *grin*

Gobble, Gobble. It's Turkey Time!


Challenges

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge: Thinking Of You
Tuesday Throwdown: Thanksgiving
Addicted to Stamps and More: Holiday
AAA Cards: Thanks/Thanksgiving
Just For Fun Rubber Stamps: Give Thanks
Crafty Hazelnut's Pattern Paper challenge: Anything Goes
Craft Your Passion: Anything Goes
A Bit More Time to Craft: Anything Goes
Crafting in a hotel room with limited supplies brought in luggage

Supplies


Putting It Together

I'm on vacation for a couple weeks but brought along a selection of my crafting supplies. This does limit me, though, to using just what I brought. I tried to plan a head a bit, but I usually craft off-the-cuff taking inspiration while I am in the process of creating.


I brought with me some pre-cut panels of watercolour cardstock. I stamped the girl with turkey to one side on one of them. I wasn't sure, at this point, if I was going to fussy cut her, and thus have the other half of the panel for another stamping, or do a semi-single layer card. Stamping her here suited both possibilities.


After I stared painting her, I decided I wanted to paper piece the large area of her dress. I stamped on to some scrap of pattern paper I had brought along. I only inked in the area of her dress.


Stamping on the patterned paper, I tried to line up the stamp to pick up details of the paper where the dress area is.


I fuzzy cut just the areas of the dress I wanted to use.

Sorry for the blurry picture, I've only got my cell phone on the trip and no tripod to position it. I usually don't look at the pictures until I am done with the whole project because I am "in the zone".


I glued the paper pieces in to place with the rest painted with Distress Ink.


I decided to stamp the sentiment on the same panel, so I trimmed the panel and used the Misti to stamp the outside sentiment.


I decided I wanted to give the inside of the card a bit of character. I wanted to stamp an element of the front stamp on the inside, the most logical is the turkey to match the sentiment. I masked off the area of the stamp I didn't want to ink, so I wouldn't get stray ink where I didn't want it.


After stamping, the turkey platter is a bit incomplete.


I used a black pen to complete the lines.

For the background paper on the card, I was thinking I wanted something Autumn-y, but the one Auturm-y paper I brought with me did not fit. I looked through the rest of my packed stash and found a soft green plaid that worked, but I was still mentally stuck on wanting Autumn-y. So I looked at my recent purchase of digital papers and found a couple that could work. I resized them to 6x6, placed them on a single print sheet. Put the file on a USB stick and went down to the hotel's business computers to print it, not the best of paper for it, but it would do. I printed the page and.. black and white. Oh. This hotel doesn't have colour printers for use. Okay. Back to the green plaid. It fits the card well and does make it more broadly useful rather than tightly specific.


To give the card some dimension, I used foam mounting tape on the back of the painted panel.


I added Wink of Stella to her shoes, 'cause what little girl doesn't like silver-y sparkly shoes, and Stickles Star Dust to her barrette over a bit of colour.



10 comments:

  1. That stamp is darling! I love how you added some pizazz to her dress! The inside is great too, with just the turkey! Anyone is going to love the sentiment!

    Thanks for sharing with us at Just for Fun for the November challenge! Good luck with the prize drawing and I hope we will see you again at the December challenge. ~~Heidi @ My Little Stamping Blog JFF DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet image for the Thanksgiving Challenge at Tuesday Throwdown! I'm so glad you joined in the fun this week! Your paper piecing turned out really nice, and I also like the background paper...like you mentioned, it keeps it a little versatile. Good luck in the challenge, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute card and design! Thanks for playing along at ATSM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet, Rijacki. Lovely and beautifully designed. Great paper piecing. Thanks for playing along at AAA Cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved these PI images, and this one is no exception! Love your soft watercoloring, Rijacki, thanks for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute and lovely step outside and process explanations.
    Thanks for joining us at Craftyhazelnuts patterned paper challenge.
    Happy crafting!
    Catherine X DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at ATSM, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet image and card.Love your paper choices.Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion.Hope to see you again next week.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet! I really love the image and the soft colors that you used.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute! I love the paper pieced dress. Thanks for joining in the Just For Fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.