16 June 2016

Seas the Day

I decided to make a bookmark for this project because I've got quite the stack of cards. I had two challenges, sponging and animals.

Supplies

Putting It Together

This actually a tale of two whales, or rather two book marks. I started with one, but redid it when it didn't turn out exactly as I wanted. This is a real quick project perfect for a day I had been sick.


I started with stamping two of the adorable whales by Becky Pearce in the May release from Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps. The sentiment is from the same set. I stamped them so they would fit on the narrow pre-cut bookmark blank. I used Memento black because it dries fast and works well with Distress Ink.


I added masking with Post-It tape, 1/2" inch on each side because I wanted the stamping to be partly in the colour strip and partly out. I should have realised at this point it left too narrow a strip in the middle, so I'll plead fuzzy-headed-ness from being ill. 


Following the excellent advice in a KKS Tute (tutorial), I sponged on a little yellow at the top like sunlight at the top of the waves. I used the blending tool and Scattered Straw Distress Ink.

Next I added a light sponging of Broken China...


...followed by Peacock Feathers, Salty Ocean, and Faded Jeans. I used a very light brush of Peacock feathers over the Broken China and the Faded Jeans to add a touch of teal to those areas.


When I took off the masking, I loved the colours but it was just too narrow.  Since it wasn't really possible to add more of the same colour to the sides, I decided to set this one aside for another day and start again.


I stamped the whales again in a similar placement and masked at 1/4" on each side. I had noticed the sentiment on the first bookmark wasn't well centred, so this time I stamped the sentiment after the masking was in place.


Using the same colours as before in the same way, I sponged the strip. When I removed the masking, the colour to the stamps was just about perfect to what had been in my head.

I used a corner rounder on the top that reminds me of bubbles, added a hole to the centre, and added a bit of teal and green grosgrain ribbon. Fun little whales swimming up.

Challenges

Simon Says Stamp blog 15 June Wednesday Challenge: Animal Magic
Kraftin' Kimmie Stamps blog 15 June Wonderful Wednesday: Anything Goes
Private Facebook group: Sponging

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous bookmark Rijacki, the whole design of this is so cute! :-)

    thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful tag! Love how you inked it!Thanks for joining us at Kraftin Kimmie Wonderful Wednesday Challenge. Hugs DT Elisabete

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do read every one. Your comments help me to grow as an artist. It warms my heart to see wonderful comments and constructive criticism.